Spicy Potato and Leek Soup
Spicy Potato & Leek Soup
This thick & creamy soup is both Vegan & Dairy friendly and is one of my favourites. I adjust the amount of Chillies used according to taste, or you could omit completely. Occasionally I have added a half can of Coconut Cream or Milk to change it up a bit, but it is perfect as is, so flavorsome!
6 – 8 Potatoes (Desiree, Pontiac or Sebago), peeled & chopped coarsely
3 – 4 cloves Garlic, minced
2 – 3 Leeks, cleaned & sliced thinly
2 teaspoons dried Thyme (or a few sprigs of fresh)
Small bunch of chives, chopped finely
Glug of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 – 5 Chillies (depending on your own taste)
3 – 4 cups of Vegetable Broth
Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- Place the oil in a large pot, stir & cook the leeks, garlic, chillies & thyme over medium heat, till leeks are softened.
- Add potatoes and bay leaf, cover with vegetable broth. (For a thick & creamy soup, I just cover the potatoes, careful not to use too much.)
- Add a pinch of Salt ( I prefer Himalayan Sea Salt) & some freshly cracked Black Pepper.
- Cook till potatoes are tender, remove from the heat. Using a stick blender, blend till smooth & pop back on low heat for 2 minutes. Taste a little & add more Salt & Pepper if need be.
- Serve into bowls, top with some croutons & sprinkle with chopped chives or serve with thick crusty bread.